Select Executive Director
Steve Brooks is the founder and Executive Director of Select Statistics. He is honorary professor of statistics at Exeter University, director of the Exeter Initiative for Statistics and its Applications and a member of the Royal Statistical Society Council. A former professor of statistics at Cambridge University with over 12 year’s academic experience, Steve has authored two popular statistics text books together with more than 60 statistical research papers.
Steve’s commercial experience comes from his time spent as director of research at ATASS Sports where he was responsible for growing their statistics team from 6 to over 20 statistical researchers in just five years.
Steve is both a Chartered Statistician and a Chartered Scientist and is the winner of both the 2005 Royal Statistical Society Guy Medal in Bronze and the 2004 Philip Leverhulme Prize. Steve’s depth of knowledge and wide experience of the development and application of statistical and computational methods enables him to provide both management expertise as well as intellectual leadership across the entire range of the company’s portfolio of activities.
Years of Experience
Over 20 years' post-graduate training, research and consultancy experience.
- Delivery of statistical analysis for clients in a variety of sectors including retail and ecommerce, healthcare, finance and risk management, environment and the public sector.
- Development and use of statistical and data manipulation software including R, SPSS, Minitab, Fortran, C, Python and MySQL.
- Development and delivery of bespoke statistical training courses both to University students and to corporate clients.
- Application of a variety of statistical techniques including regression modelling, statistical computing, time series analysis, Bayesian statistics, sample design and analysis, data visualisation and medical statistics.
- Director of Research, ATASS Sports (2006-2011)
- Professor of Statistics, University of Cambridge (2000-2008)
- Senior Lecturer, University of Surrey (1999-2000)
- Lecturer, Bristol University (1996-1999)
Qualifications and Professional Body Membership
- Chartered Statistician, Royal Statistical Society
- Chartered Scientist
- Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society
- Honorary Professor, University of Exeter
- Member, Royal Statistical Society Council
- Director of ExIStA
- Winner of the Royal Statistical Society Guy Medal in Bronze
- Winner of the Philip Leverhulme Prize
- Ph.D. in Statistics, University of Cambridge
- M.Sc. in Statistics with Distinction, University of Kent
- B.Sc. in Mathematics, Bristol University